How To: Choose The Perfect Exterior Paint Color
Dollar-for-dollar paint is the single biggest thing you can do to increase the curb appeal and value of your home. But, inversely, when done incorrectly, it can have the opposite effect.
But have no fear! Before starting your next paint exploration, read these expert tips to ensure your new paint job will be the envy of the neighborhood!
- Take into account the style of home- do you live in a modern, craftsman, Mediterranean? The type of home will dictate the color schemes that work best. Colors should represent the type of home and the architect's original intent.
- Take into account the surrounding colors of the home, such as roofing, stonework, brick, stain grade items, and landscaping, when choosing hues.
- Current color trends are bright, pops of color- best suited from a front door so can be easily changed.
- Consider the lifespan of your paint color selection. Off whites or lighter colors have a life span of 5-7 years, while dark colors look worn after 2-4 years.
- Tone-on-tone color schemes are timeless, especially for historic homes like in the Almond Grove.
- And remember to take your time and always consult a professional!
Here are a few examples of current trends:
FRONT DOOR POPS OF COLOR
A big thank you to my paint guru, my dad, for helping me put these color schemes together!